Thursday, January 26, 2006

 

A serious matter

I'm going out of town for a long weekend, folks. So I thought I would leave you with a heartwarming political story. Right.

Let's get one thing straight. I am not so partisan that I think less of most Republicans for their political beliefs. I count among my friends several dyed-in-the-wool Republicans, and while we often have spirited debates on the issue, what is most important between us is that we are good people and like each other enough to put aside politics in favor of friendship. As it should be.

But let me relate to you a quick story. My fiancee, who is both more liberal and less involved in politics than I am, works in a bank branch in the West Metro. Not really important which one. She just got a promotion (yay!) but for the time being, her job requires her to be on her feet all day, and does not provide an outlet to avoid verbal harrassment.

Perhaps you see where I'm going with this. Yesterday, she had a customer come in, a man, average appearance, but apparently a Republican. While processing his transaction, she had the privilege of him ripping on Democrats everywhere - to the tune of "I really hate those Democrats, all they do is stick to their little agendas while President Bush is out there fighting terror, and he's a great man and all they do is get in his way" etc, etc, etc. This continues for several minutes, and after getting no response from my fiancee, he comes up with the zinger "You're probably just thinking - well, it probably doesn't matter what you're thinking, since you have to take it anyway, right?" with a sneer which was, according to my fiancee, worthy of a comic book villain.

He then continued ranting, spittle-mouthed, about how much he hated Democrats because surprisingly, he had correctly inferred that indeed, she was stuck.

The actual politics of the situation here are not important. His little sheep drone act with the Fox News talking points are not important. What is important is that this man went out of his way to verbally abuse a bank teller because he knew that she was a Democrat and couldn't do a damned thing about it. Believe me, if it were any other circumstance, she would have ripped him a new one on the issues and he would have stalked away fuming at his own insufferable verbal impotence, not knowing that the real reason he was angry was that this girl had just politically bitch-slapped him with the light of reason. But alas, she was a bank employee, and had to smile and not respond in any way.

If this story sounds at all familiar, as though you'd been involved - know that you're worse than the scum I scraped off my shoe last week. For the right-ish or rightie bloggers or readers I may or may not have, don't fret - I'm not generalizing. I know most of you are fine human beings, and I want to work with you to forge a better political future for us all.

But you, with the sneer and the superiority complex and the completely brainwashed attitude? You can go straight to hell.

Comments:
----------------------------------------------
Blogger Tony said:
I hate that AND that is why I hate partisans.

That man (Republican or Democrat) should have shut the hell up once the conversation was obviously not a 2-way street.

I think you fiancee missed a golden opportunity..."you're probably thinking..."
"No, sir, I would love to have this discussion but I think it is highly unprofessional for anyone to engage in this while one person is working."

I would have been less diplomatic than that, "No, sir, I just do not want to risk being reprimanded for putting you in your ideological place. Next please!"
 
----------------------------------------------
Blogger Sam said:
Hi , I was out blog surfing looking for some info on course equipment golf used when I ended up on your page. Should you ever need it, you can get specific information about course equipment golf used at the site above.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Google
Web
MNCR